The Oregon SHARP Alliance Blue Star award recognizes Oregon individuals for their outstanding dedication to, and impact on workplace safety and health in Oregon. The Blue Star Award spotlights an individual who has stepped up as leader to transform their organizations’ or company’s safety culture and promote continuous safety improvement. The recipient does not have to be a member of the Oregon SHARP Alliance.
This annual award is presented at the SHARP Alliance’s Blue Mountain Safety and Health Conference in June.
Nominees for the Oregon SHARP Alliance Blue Star Award must meet the following criteria:
Nominee must have demonstrated safety leadership, with practical examples of:
- Leadership attributes that set the nominee apart from her/his peers;
- Initiating and/or leading a successful safety initiative with measurable results;
- Engaging peers and transforming the safety culture of their organization/company;
- Valuing safety as a critical part of business operations;
- Work as a mentor and resource for safety & health to others.
Nominations for the award must be submitted to an Oregon SHARP Alliance Board member by an individual other than the nominee, no later than April 30th of the year, in time to vote for a winner and get the award ordered in time for the June Blue Mountain Conference.
Votes are cast each year in May, by the current Oregon SHARP Alliance Board members and by past award winners. All efforts will be made to get the winner to appear at the Blue Mountain Conference, but the award may be accepted by another on behalf of the winner.
The Oregon SHARP Alliance has recognized several very outstanding people since 2008, and in 2011, formalized the recognition process and nomination procedures.